I know. I know. I’m supposed to be writing. That’s not happening, at least not until later today. This is the second day in a row when one neighbor or another has decided this would be a great day to have outdoor repairs–noisy ones at that–done. That leaves me hoping this bit of work doesn’t last all day like the last three or four around us have. So, since I can’t concentrate enough of writing, I turned my attention to things about the current wip that have been bothering me.
I have the plot. I’ve gotten some of it written. Notes have been made. But something’s been bothering from the beginning. I finally realized it’s the title. It started out as Victory from Ashes. The problem with that is this isn’t the last book in the story arc. So I changed it to Retribution from Ashes. That just didn’t feel right. While “retribution” was the “correct” word, it didn’t really convey what I wanted it to.
What I didn’t realize was how much this was bothering me on a subconscious level. It finally dawned on me I was so intent on staying loyal to the naming convention I’ve been using for the series that I was letting it hamstring me. I thought about it. I cursed myself for not finding a title I’m happy with that stays with the general title form of the other books. Then I threw my hands up in the air and said screw it. I can convey the fact the book is part of the serie by simply adding the series name under the title.
So, that’s what I did. The title still isn’t perfect, but it feels closer to being correct than anything else has. It has also let me start thinking about other things I need to worry about regarding the book. So, title unveil yet again:
No promises that the title will remain the same. Still, it feels better than the others.
And that means the writing will come easier. . . at least I hope so.